Those crazy French at de Buyer have been making cookware since 1830 and continue to produce it only in France! Their MINERAL B carbon steel collection builds on that proud tradition. Carbon steel shares many of the same properties as a cast iron pan without the excessive weight. It heats very evenly on any cooking surface, including induction. And even better, once seasoned, you will have a non-stick skillet WITHOUT ANY CHEMICAL COATINGS!!! These de Buyer pans are a staple in French restaurant kitchens.
The beeswax is used to prevent the pan from rusting and to save time when seasoning. Prior to first use, clean the pan with very hot water to remove the beeswax from the entire pan. If at first use, you notice any wax residue, use a paper towel to wipe your hot pan clean or heat your pan on a baking sheet in the oven at 200 degrees and when pan is hot, wipe clean.
Seasoning, cover the bottom of the pan with flavorless oil and heat for 5 minutes. Let the pan cool before draining the oil, and then wipe clean with paper towels. Repeat the process a second time and your pan is ready for use. After this process, the pan will acquire a natural nonstick property and darken over time. After cooking, wash the pan in hot water, wipe with a soft sponge and dry thoroughly. Do not use dish soap and do not remove the black layer that forms at the bottom of the pan, it will make a solid film and create a non-stick surface. Dry thoroughly to prevent rusting and store in a dry area. The pan will darken with use, creating a naturally nonstick surface.
- Commercial weight carbon steel construction
- Excellent heat conductivity and distribution
- Withstands high temps so allows longer preheating - killer searing - seals in nutrients and flavors
- Seasons to a natural non-stick surface
- Safe at very high temperatures and with metal utensils
- Lighter than cast iron
- Hand wash - with hot water immediately after use & then wipe immediately with paper towel, store in dry place
- Made in France
- Oven Safe for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.